Social enterprise has six defining features:
- Having a social purpose or purposes.
- Achieving the social purpose by, at least in part, engaging in trade in the marketplace.
- Not distribution of profits to individuals.
- Holding assets and wealth in trust for community benefit.
- Democratically involving members of its constituency in the governance of the organization.
- Being independent organizations accountable to a defined constituency and to the wider community
The birdsong model involves two (2) incorporated commercial entities operating as social enterprises